Friday, June 22, 2007

Grumpy Gus Part I: Wherein Gus Indulges in a Cathartic Whine

I am mad at tonight because it's Thursday. Everyone has to go to work tomorrow. All day I thought it was Friday, and only this evening when they Y didn't close at 9 like it was supposed to did I realize my mistake. I'd better marry a teacher when I grow up, or have lots of teacher friends, so I'm not lonely all summer long. Lonely is such a dramatic and depressing word, I almost just went back and deleted it. I don't mean that my situation is at all desperate or pitiful, just emptier of people to do things with at midnight on a weeknight than I'd like (in the best of all possible worlds...). And maybe the fact that it's the solstice tonight, and every night after this will be darker and shorter, is also contributing to this unshakable restlessness that seems to be gripping me lately.

Am I even allowed to bitch about having multiple weeks off in the middle of the summer? I think not. Somebody get this girl a hammock and some perspective (to chill out both my physical and mental faculties, you see).

And, because no one is grumpier than Gertrude Stein:

A charm a single charm is doubtful. If the red is rose and there is a gate surrounding it, if inside is let in and there places change then certainly something is upright. It is earnest.
- Nothing Elegant

Rhubarb is susan not susan not seat in bunch toys not wild and laughable not in little places not in neglect and vegetable not in fold coal age not please.
- Rhubarb

Alas a dirty word, alas a dirty third alas a dirty third, alas a dirty bird.
- Chicken

1 comment:

General Mobius said...

The civilized world is in bed at midnight on a weeknight. I can't even imagine what it would be like to stay up that late any more. My body quits at 11:00 now.