Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Summer &c.

It has been hot in my room these past two nights. Hot to the point of unsleepable. And just today I realized this is because I had forgotten to switch the little knob on the side of the ceiling fan that controls the direction it rotates, so all this time it's been pushing warm air down on me instead of, well, drawing the cool air up? or doing whatever it does to generate cool breezes instead of warm ones, which is fine when my room is an ice box in the winter, but not as nice when it's ninety and humid. So I fixed it.

And because of one very clever mosquito hiding under my desk yesterday while I was working (or slacking) away, I'm now peppered with my first bug bites of summer. This initial round always seems to itch more than the rest, like my skin hasn't built up its immunity yet. Good to get it over with though, I suppose, just as long as this extreme fatigue I've been feeling lately is due to heat and lack of sleep, and not Malaria.

Also, I just googled images of "roman nose" because I've heard that phrase used often enough in my life, but never been quite sure what one actually looked like. One page that came up seemed to have nothing to do with facial features, but did yield this fantastic quote that I would rather share on facebook but don't quite think my students should be reading things like this coming from me. So here it shall go instead: Satan himself can't save a woman who wears thirty-shilling corsets under a thirty-guinea costume

PS - Apparently I lied about that Gulliver's Travels first edition that I thought I bought at the yard sale last weekend. It did only have one copyright date, which I thought meant it was the original printing, but, after checking my roman numerals, I learned that the copy I own is merely from the 1920s. Consider my boast retracted.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Were you bitten by the mosquitos because you don't have your summer tan yet? I hear they like white skin.