Friday, October 27, 2006

Making Sense is for Weenies

Today was snack day in third hour, my senior writing class, and the designated snack-bringer brought me a Mountain Dew along with chips and doughnuts for the class. So I drank it. It was barely 9:30 in the morning. Then there was a big basket of M&Ms in the teacher workroom, so I grabbed a cupful (mini-dixie-sized cup) and took them back to my room to replace the Wheat Thins and apple I'd brought for lunch. By 6th hour, on a Friday with nothing but Mountain Dew and chocolate in my system, things got pretty wacky. Luckily no one passed out or lost use of any necessary faculties.

(This next part is mostly for me - the list-making, cataloguing part of me. Feel free to skim/skip it)

And then I came home, and worked, and, as of 10 o'clock tonight, I am officially done planning until after Thanksgiving break. The first 11 weeks are completely squared away. In the past three days I've had hardly any grading, so I've managed to reread Macbeth while preparing reading quizzes, vocab worksheets, and daily lessons. Then I planned the mini-unit on Indian poetry for World Lit to get ready for Siddhartha, wrote the assignment sheet for the seniors' next writing project, and made a test for Oedipus Rex. I snuck online and managed to reserve computers for a week, so the seniors can research and write instead of whine and throw paper balls at each other, which is always refreshing.

And now I'm writing a post at 11 on a Friday night because momentum is a tricky and sometimes cruel thing. I can't stop. Except that my body is about to shut me down. The edges of a cold have been encroaching on my throat all week, and if it weren't for the daily doses of multi-vitamins and Sunny D, I'd probably be dead right now. Seriously. And I can't afford to be sick with all the plans Emily and Jess and I have this weekend (and I guess Tim and Aaron will be here too?). Pumpkins and wine and lots of giggling. That's the MO. Oh, and doughnuts. There will also be doughnuts.

1 comment:

Mr. Blair said...

it feels so good to be productive...and yet i just can't get going.

i do know about the can't stop phenomenon. it's almost as if i'm scared of being in that mode, so i just avoid work all together.

i think i'll call this my defense.