Monday, October 30, 2006

When I am an older, better, more experienced teacher and I have something to tell a newer, younger teacher, I must remember that there are at least two ways (and probably many more) to give advice. One is to talk to someone like they are an ignorant, lazy kid who needs sharp words and scary eyes to successfully communicate a message, and the other is to remember that the recipient of my advice is trying to juggle about fifty things at once, all of which she is trying for the first time and admittedly pretty bad at, but she is still doing the best that she can given the circumstances, and address her accordingly. I really don't like being picked on, and when peers talk to me like I am one of their unruly students (ironically, reminding me that I ought to be acting more professional) it kind of ruins my day, because I'm never brave enough to stand up to them and tell them that I deserve to be spoken to more fairly. Instead I come home, (maybe cry a little bit), and pour it all out to this little box, passive through and through.

No comments: