Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Good VD

Valentine's Day in high school is so much fun. I got cards and candy from many more students than I expected today, and there were snacks, which is always a bonus. For journal I had my students write love letters to no one in particular, and some of them were brave enough to share. The sense of humor is in such a stage of development at the age of sixteen that students can manage to walk the line between raunchy and school appropriate about eighty percent of the time, so that was hilarious. A sample from a gentleman in second hour: roses are red / violets are blue / you're really pretty/ we should bone. He showed that one to me beforehand to ask if it was okay to read out loud, and I burst out laughing before I had time to remember that I'm supposed to maintain my professional facade at all times. This journal comes on the heels of yesterday's prompt asking students what bug they would become if they had to be one for a day, and what they would do during their transformation. Of course we had to share that one too, which ended up taking up a good half of each class period. I need to start rationing out my really good journal topics though, or the bar is going to be raised so high that I'll never be able to wow them until June.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find the title of this post to be hilarious. Because, well, you know how my mind works.

k said...
This comment has been removed by the author.