Saturday, February 10, 2007

What's Up Pumpkin

So the new colors are kind of ugly, I know, but I'm still working on it. I had a scheme all worked out (sort of) but then I tried the orange background, and it pleased me tremendously, so now everything else has to be redesigned around it. The New Yorker had a really interesting article on color the other week, about who decides what colors are going to be trendy and popular and such, so as the orange jumped out at me, ruining my previously acceptable color palette, I knew exactly who to curse. And if it bothers you, don't worry - next month I hear eggplant will be the new pumpkin.

I went to the cafe at Schuler's today and graded papers for about three hours. In order to be allowed to stay there that long guilt-free - they have these terrible (yet polite) signs on all of the tables warning "studiers" that cafe staff has the right and responsibility to ask them to leave if it's a busy time and new patrons looking for eating/drinking stations are left standing. Saturday afternoon is rather busy, and I really didn't want to lose my seat - I had to drink coffee the whole time. On the way home, I was feeling very shaky and the way the cat must feel when she's tearing around the apartment sliding on the rug and rebounding off various living room furnitures. I actually said out loud to no one in particular (as I was the only one in the car at the time) "I need to chill out here, I'm tweaking!" And that raised the question that I meditated on for the rest of the drive home - what does it actually mean to be tweaking? What drug does one actually have to be on to tweak, and what kind of behaviors are physically involved in doing so? Is it a cocaine thing, or E? Is tweaking like seizing, or just getting tense, paranoid, and jittery? I've heard people use that phrase often enough to have adopted it into my own parlance, but I know I'm not using it appropriately (which has never stopped me before, but I digress). Anyway, this is something I feel I need to look into. Also, I promise I won't use the phrase "tweaking" often, even after I do find out what it means, because I'm pretty sure I'm the kind of person who would sound ridiculous using it in any context, facetious or not. Further updates as events warrant.

One more thing, exciting to no one but my own self, probably: yesterday I bought a cute little food processor so now I can make Indian food again without having to devote three hours to shredding, chopping, and mincing piles of ingredients for hours beforehand. I will also never ever ever chop another onion by hand. It's just too painful, and the profit is simply not significant enough to compensate for the cost.

3 comments:

S said...

"Tweaking" seems to be completely appropriate. My roommate and I have dubbed such an experience "the coffee tweak-out". It seems to happen to me with some frequency, especially on mornings when there is no time for breakfast, but a moment to order that necessary cup of coffee before class.

Anonymous said...

I believe "Tweaking" in general comes from meth. You better not be doing meth, K.

Annie said...

I read that as 'comes from math'.
Which is also true.
And you had better not be doing math either... it ruins lives.