Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I just got back from my first night of grad class, and I kind of need to talk about it. Not the actual content stuff. That was nice, once I got over being terrified for the first half hour while we did introductions and I thought maybe I'd forgotten how to think like a smart person. It's fine though. By the time the three hours ended, my anxieties were assuaged.

So, back to my trauma. First of all, I was late. Not for lack of planning, but kind of for lack of planning. I wanted to get there early to find the room and get a good seat and do other silly, former-over-achiever kinds of things, so I left my house forty minutes before class started. The drive to Allendale is about twenty miles, so I was sure I would get there in plenty of time. Except that my class started at 6, which means I left home at 5:20, and it kind of slipped my mind that this would put me smack dab in the middle of rush hour traffic, trying to traverse the mighty beast that is Downtown Grand Rapids (AND Walker AND Standale, which were actually worse that GR). So I didn't make it there in twenty minutes; it took about fifty. I walked in to class ten minutes late and sweaty and puffing from power walking from the parking lot (commuting is lame, btw), all the way to the classroom. But. But but but. This is where the story actually starts to get so bad that it's funny.

The thing is, this is a seminar class - very small, you know? Caps at 15, but there are apparently only 13 of us actually taking it this semester. And guess who the shit ass damn hell is sitting right up there in the front row of the class? (this is only going to be interesting to the U of M people, and maybe even not all of them...). It's Lauren Hoffman. In my class. My tiny tiny class of people who are going to get really close and friendly and discussiony for the next sixteen weeks or so. I don't think I need to (or want to, at least) say any more. In different circumstances I would punch her out pretty quick, but we're going to be keeping it business while we're in class. And today she seemed nice enough. Besides, that's all ancient history anyway. Like, we're talking Mesozoic. It's just like fate needed a good laugh or something. Glad I could help out with that one. Guh.

No comments: