Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Q: What do my four English preps have in common with female roommates living in close quarters?
A: No matter what their scheudles were at the beginning of the year, eventually they're all on the same cycle.

Okay, that was awful, I know. But it's also true. Through no effort or intention of my own, this week all four of my classes are finishing up units, which means taking tests, writing papers, and doing projects. For the past three days, I have spent the 5 hours between 4 and 9 pm grading grading grading and then grading some more (with breaks to eat and blog, of course). And it's not over. Monday Macbeth projects were due, Tuesday Macbeth literary analysis papers and Word Journals were due, along with vocab. Today World Lit took an essay test on Siddhartha, and Writng for the Real World handed in their Ad Analysis papers. Tomorrow WftRW has a short test on logical fallacies and on Friday Eng 11 takes their sonnet quiz and Apply hands in their Macbeth projects. Oof!! It's just the pace at which things are rolling (what do we say about momentum? we hate it, right?) To put off any fo these assessments would gum up my schedule and make things hectic later...so instead they can be hectic now? At least they're only hectic outside of the classroom. And since all of this is happening now, my holiday break should be comparitively school-work-free which will leave time for social events when other people are actually around and available. So now that I've whined about it I guess I can step back and say it will be all right...as long as I don't die of paper cuts before the week is through.

Also, I've decided Tuesday is the worst day of the week. Fucking Tuesday I've begun to call it (only in my head and occasionally under my breath, of course). I'm always tired on Tuesday. By Wednesday the slide toward the end of the week has already started, and on Monday I'm still refreshed from the weekend. Tuesday is that point where, if one were to compare getting through the week to swimming the English Channel, you've come too far to go back, but there's still so far to go, and everything is cold and grey and wet and miserable. You have to paddle on, but you don't have to like it.

No comments: